The Newcomer Prize Entry Form
Terms of Entry
- The competition deadline is midnight (UK time) on Thursday, 31 May 2018, and the winning stories will be announced in July. The announcement will appear on our website and in our email newsletter.
- Eligibility (author of entry): To enter, you must be aged 16 or over at the time of entry (there is no upper age limit). You must not have previously published a novel or single-author collection of short stories in paperback, hardback, or other physical format, or have one due for publication before 31 May 2018. (Previous ebook or online-only publications do not restrict eligibility, as long as the actual story being entered has not been published.) Authors previously published by The Fiction Desk are not eligible to enter this competition.
- Eligibility (story to be entered): Stories entered for the Newcomer Prize must not have been published elsewhere in print, ebook, online, or any other form. Simultaneous submissions are acceptable, but should a story be published elsewhere, the author agrees to inform The Fiction Desk Ltd, and the story will be withdrawn from the competition, in which case no refund of the entry fee will be given.
- All stories must be written in English and be entirely the author's own work. Limited quotations from elsewhere are acceptable as long as: (a) the material quoted is in the public domain (and no longer under copyright) worldwide; (b) the quoted material is clearly identified as such within the entry, and the original source is stated; and (c) the quoted material is no more than 5% of the total word count of the story. Entries should not include any material from other sources still covered by copyright.
- The entry fee is £8 per story. All entries must be made through the appropriate form on our website. Any entries for which payment has not been received before 10 June 2018 will be disqualified.
- Authors of the winning stories grant The Fiction Desk the non-exclusive right to internationally publish the stories as part of an anthology, in print and ebook editions, including reprints and new editions of that anthology. Once winners have been announced, the authors of winning stories agree not to publish the stories elsewhere until after they've been published by The Fiction Desk, which will be within twelve months of the closing date of the competition.
- There is a first prize of £500, and a second prize of £250. The Fiction Desk Ltd reserves the right to increase the number of prizes and their value, but will not decrease them. All published authors will also receive two printed copies of the anthology in which their work appears.
- Entries must be between 1,000 and 7,000 words in length. Longer or shorter entries will be disqualified.
- No refunds will be given in the event of a story being withdrawn by the author, or disqualified for breach of the rules.
- Winners published in the anthology will also be eligible for entry to the Fiction Desk writer's award for that volume, subject to the terms applied to other stories in the same volume.
- Multiple entries are allowed, but to ensure a varied selection of winners, no author may receive a prize for more than one story.
- The judge's decision is final, and no correspondence will be entered into. The judge is unable to comment on individual entries. The Fiction Desk Ltd reserves the right to change judges or appoint new ones at any time.